Construction play involves manipulating one or multiple elements of the play environment to construct something new. This may involve all sorts of construction methods – stacking, assembling, disassembling, sorting or moulding, to name a few.
Construction play develops all types of skills and behaviours;
- The physical skills necessary to manipulate and control the chosen toy or material
- Problem solving skills
- The ability to plan the use of materials to see a design idea become a reality
- The ability to test ideas
- Perseverance in the face of construction challenges
- When working with others, team work behaviours necessary to successfully and collaboratively complete a task together.